JUASO COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, INC.
THE PROPOSED JUASO MARKET/LORRY PARK PROJECT
Juaso Junction Lorry Park has provided a strategic hub where hawkers, from petty traders to commercial traders sell all manner of wares to the travelling public on the main Accra-Kumasi Highway.
- The Junction has served as a marketing center since the historical relocation of the Juaso old-town to the present-day Juaso, located in between the railway station and the Kumasi –Accra highway. The objective of this project is to phase-lift the Juaso junction into a modern lorry park and marketing center of commerce for the Asante Akyem South District and its environs. The project which will consist of market stores, parking spaces for vehicles, market stores for traders, and restrooms will serve the AASD northern corridor from Yaw Akwei, Morso, Kurofa and Adomfe to the periphery of Juansa in the Asante Akyem North district through Konongo, the Asante Akyem Central Municipality to the capital city of Kumasi in the Ashanti Region. On the western corridor, the project will serve the travelling public from Obogu through Banso, Komeso, Odubi, Kyempo, Dwendwenase, Nkyesa and Ofoase to Akim Oda area. On the eastern corridor of AASD, the project will serve Asuboa, Dampong through Bompata to Wankyi while the southern corridor of the project will link Atwedie, Asankare, Pra River, Praso, Formaso, Ahyiresu, Muramuraa through eastern region of Ghana to the Capital City of Accra.
- The Juaso Market/Lorry Park Project will be sited on a plot of land adjacent to the GOIL Gas Station allocated to JOCAUSA, Inc. by Nana Asafoakaa Agyei Tabi I. The land shares common boundaries with the GOIL Gas Station and the Juaso Government hospital and stretches up to the VRA Electricity high tension pylon on the Kumasi-Accra highway.
- When fully completed, the JUASO MARKET/LORRY PARK project will provide a more convenient and safer place for the traveling public and minimize both vehicular and pedestrian accidents that has notoriously bedeviled the Juaso Junction since time immemorial. It will in addition provide a marketing hub for the numerous traders who are haphazardly located along the road, decongest and remove illegal kiosks from the area and along the road to the precincts of the Juaso Government Hospital.
- The project will provide job opportunities for not only the traditional bread-sellers and hawkers but also for other food vendors and auto mechanics and eventually improve the economy of Juaso and the Asante Akyem South District.
SOURCES OF FUNDING:
- While the project will receive initial funding from the Juaso Community Association of the United States of America (JOCAUSA), Inc.; a not for profit community based USA Corporation registered under section 501 (C)(3) of USA Internal Revenue Service(IRS) code; the objective of this proposed project is to seek funding through private and public partnership of individuals, the Juaso authority, and the Asante Akyem South District Assembly (AASDA) sources to establish a market stores and other facilities to augment the Juaso Market/Lorry Park Project.
- The total cost of the project is unknown at this point and will be determined in collaboration with the Asante Akyem South District Assembly (AASDA) based on several factors including the topology of the land, technical designs of the building, and number of market stores to be constructed.
- Funding of the project will be sourced from private and public sources including interested individuals who may invest in market stores and other facilities appropriately approved by the oversight board.
- JOCAUSA shall provide the initial funding for land/site development for the project take-off. This will include site-graveling, drainage, landscaping, etc. Approved applicant will be required to make a yet-to-be determined percentage of unit cost of a market store approved by the oversight board which will be used to commence construction of the first phase of the project. The remaining cost and terms of payment will be spread over the second and final phases of the project.
- JOCAUSA and the Oversight Board shall adequately advertise the project on media platforms to help inform the public about the project. Interested Juaso citizens shall be given the opportunity to apply for ownership allocation
THE GOVERNING BOARD:
Oversight Board of the project will be chaired by the traditional ruler of Juaso, Nana Asafoakaa Agyei Tabi I, who is the patron of JOCAUSA Inc., working in
concert with JOCAUSA’s local affiliate, the Juaso Improvement Trust Fund Committee (JOCAUSA-JITFC), and the Juaso community – at- large
complementing our efforts with communal labor, the GPRTU, PROTOA, Traders/Market Women’s Association, and the AASDA which shall provide
technical assistance and administrative support services for the project.
The project will be implemented through collaboration of the JITFC with the Juaso Community led by the traditional authority and under the technical guidance of the
AASDA. The project implementation will commence in the second quarter of 2016 and scheduled to be completed by the close of 2018.
- The Juaso Market/Lorry Park shall be jointly owned by the Juaso Community led by the traditional authority, the AASDA, and beneficiary traders/market women. It shall be operated by the AASDA and the GPRTU/PROTOA.
- Owners of market stores and users of the facilities shall honor all fees and tax obligations as required by laws and bye-laws of the AASDA and in addition to honoring the full ownership and rental cost of market stores and other facilities.
- Revenue from this project shall be collected by the AASDA. A yet-to-be determined percentage of accrued revenue shall be deposited in the JITFC account and used to support community projects in Juaso.